Howard Butler has just written an interesting article discussing the pro’s on funding development in open source GIS packages.
From my perspective looking in (and currently trying to get some Geoserver sponsorship), there are a few problems which i think would entice more sponsorship from the wider community,
- A simple WIKI/Document explaining to the company/corporation, ‘whats in it for me”?
- How does sponsorship work?
- Is there any attribution attached to the sponsored feature?
- How are the rates calculated?
- Will the feature remain in the products roadmap?
Hopefully, OSGEO will sort out some of these issues. The “whats in it for us” attitude is certainly the feeling i am getting at the moment